Monday, April 12, 2021

William Lee Funeral

 WILLIAM LEE FUNERAL

I do not believe that I ever had an encounter with William in which, in some way, he failed to present me with a challenge either to consider an interpretation of Scripture, or to examine my relationship with God, or God’s relationship with the world. Not once in the four and one-half years that I have been at St. Simons was there ever a deviation from his probing inquiry into God’s presence in the world. It was his hallmark.

I should add that I will never forget the New York Times’ clippings which he would handily whip out from his inside jacket pocket, saying as he handed them to me “You should read this.”

Yes, William was always pushing me to look at my relationship with God – from all points of view, through all lenses

So, it was no surprise to me – well, maybe a little bit of a surprise – when during my last visit with him he issued me yet another clear directive. He asked that I talk about John verses 1-2 and the Shema – when I spoke at his funeral.

Talk about a challenging assignment!!!

The first and second verses of John’s gospel, as you probably know, are, of course, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” 

The Shema, which you may not be familiar with, is found in Deuteronomy and is the centerpiece of Moses’ first speech to the Israelites as they embark on their exodus from Egypt. In it he is warning them that their allegiance to the one God, and one God only, is central to their well-being as they enter the wilderness. Within the speech is the prayer called the Shema – the Hebrew word for “Hear.”

The word “Shema” begins what is now the most important prayer in Judaism. The whole prayer is spoken daily in the Jewish tradition:

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.

This, of course, is God’s great commandment to all, including us Christians. The follow-up, or second great commandment was given to us by Jesus at his last supper: “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.” 

As I began to think about writing this homily, I felt compelled to uncover the puzzle that William had given me in this last directive. What was it that he really wanted me to talk about, to say about him - this delightful person, loved so dearly by everyone gathered together today in this sacred space; and by so many others who could not be here?

Well – believe me I spent quite a bit of time pondering before putting pen to paper. So, William, here goes. I hope and pray that in some small way I have it right.

Let’s begin with the Gospel of John. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” Put simply. God has been there always, as has Christ. God is eternal and God is creator. Christ is eternal and Christ is the Word, the Way. And the Word was God. God and Christ are one, co-eternal. The Word, God’s gift to us, came into being to show us the way to God. To point us to the divine.

The Shema is our guide to what is entailed in following the Way – the Word – our guide to developing a relational commitment to God. A relational commitment that is based in faithful obedience as a response to God’s grace. A pointer to the divine.

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.

In Hebrew, the word “love” in the context of the Shema means to make a commitment to walk faithfully with God. The word “heart” connotes the very center of our being, our volition, our will. In the Shema we are committing our will to align with God’s will. Finally, the word “soul” is defined as the whole person – the “you.”

Basically, in praying this prayer we make a commitment to walk faithfully with God with the very center of our being, with all of who we are, and we commit our will to align with God’s will. We say, “I am all in.”

William, for sure you were, “all in.” Your assurance of God’s eternal presence, of Christ’s Word – his Way, and your commitment to walk faithfully with God; to devote the very center of your being, your “you” to God, and your vow to align your will with the will of God was unceasing.

You were a key member of the St. Simon’s community. A community that strives always, and in all ways to point to our creator, the divine. You never failed to question, to comment, to contribute to our unceasing efforts to commit ourselves with our whole being to God – to make us really think about our relationship with, our faithfulness to God.

Your faith as expressed in John, verses one and two, and your work of committing yourself to God as expressed in the Shema was evident – always.

In our last meeting you assured me of your peace. You said, “Don’t worry about me, I am one with God.”

Yes, my friend, you are, and you were, one with God. On behalf of Jennifer, your family, and your many, many friends, I say “thank you,” for your diligence in keeping us alert to God’s presence in our lives. You will be missed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment