Saturday, April 25, 2009

Poverty vs. Culture

For a while now, I have been struggling with the cause(s) of various dilemmas that I encounter with the clients that come to our organization for help. Most individuals who end up in our waiting room are quite, if not very, poor. Initally, I blamed everything on poverty. However, recently it has become clear to me that our clients' problems extend far beyond their poverty issues. The other day as I was thinking in the shower (one of the best places to think quietly I have found), it struck me that the real problem out here in the wilderness is not poverty - it is cultural. In my theological framework, I would say that for the most part, the wild west has not been touched by the Holy Spirit. By this I mean that the culture accepts, perhaps promotes, self-motivated, impulsive, and violent behaviors. This type of lifestyle produces isolation, anxiety, and indifference. I am just re-reading the Acts of the Apostles in preparation for a Christian Education class that I will be giving, and in reflecting on this issue of poverty vs. culture I am reminded of the inital work of the apostles and their commitment to the mission that had been given to them by Christ; their understanding and internalized knoweldge of the power of the Holy Spirit. Slowly in that difficult wilderness of ancient times, they converted first a few, then a few hundred, and then a few thousand. They did not change any socioeconomic problems, but they did bring healing and brotherly love - a spirituality of compassion - the presence of the Holy Spirit. Let us pray that we can in some small way do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment