Thursday, April 16, 2009

Visit with Senator Reid

My visit with the Senator and some of his staff was awesome. A handful of other community members and I got to introduce ourselves and then hear from the Senator about what's going on in Wahsington. He has found a great staff and a great way to network himself to his constituents. His methods and his words gave me hope, for the first time in a great while, that this country might be turning onto a better path. The visit also reminded me of how important contact with our legislators is. I flashed back to my AIDS activist days and memories of many flights to Washington D.C.; meetings with other activists from throughout the country to strategize; and then several days of meetings with various senators, congressmen etc. It was hard work, but totally effective. We got the inital and continuing Ryan White funding and the critically needed state of the art clinical trials that would identify so many effective medications in treating HIV. I don't know about becoming an activist once again. But, maybe...there are many issues to be addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment