Saturday, November 16, 2013

Oppression and Education


I recently returned from Haiti - once again. Without counting on my fingers I would say that this was my 14th trip to Haiti since the year 2000.

Needless to say, I always arrive home relieved to be an American citizen, and with many new insights into the stress and turmoil of being a resident of Haiti.

Never before, however, have I understood, with the eyes and ears of my heart, the meaning of what living in a world of total and absolute oppression really means to those who must endure the weight of no help and no hope day after day and year after year.

Never before have I understood the absolute and utter impossibility of getting anywhere in such a world of oppression without the grace of God and without a partner in the arduous journey of raising oneself up and out of the dungeon of hopelessness.

Never before have I understood the power of education – all sorts of education - for those who have no education.

It matters little what brought about my epiphany this past week. What matters is that I do something about it – that I bring such an epiphany to others who are called to work with our brothers and sisters in Haiti.

What matters is education for the men, women and children of Haiti. Don’t ever underestimate its power, and your need to partner in providing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment